A Rare Glimpse

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Only in Kingston...

Well, maybe not ONLY in Kingston, but definitely not in Toronto and any non-military towns. Yesterday, I saw a military tank driving down Princess (main road artery), with two guys' heads sticking out the top of the tank in the front, and one guy's head sticking out the top in the back, with their fatigue gear on. Not sure if they were carrying their guns, but it was all such an oddity compared to the bustle of people at lunch time. It was definitely intriguing, and it's not the first time I've seen this happen. In fact, such rare, extraordinary occurances always make my day, as I love interesting things out of the ordinary.

I help run the kids program on Thursday mornings at a local church parent support group, and this morning, the kids made egg shakers for Easter. I think they had a lot of fun with that craft, but we were packed, as almost all the kids showed up. Quite a handful, but they are all such lovely children, even the ones that, when told to be quiet, whisper back, "I'm not talking!" :P One child was so intrigued by his first experience with us, he proceeded to draw on his face with a marker instead of his paper; luckily, we use non-toxic, washable markers, whew.

I also help a woman out with her kids on Thursday afternoons/evenings. With 3 kids under 4 years old and an at-home consulting business, she has her hands full, so when she asked for help with the kids, I was happy to assist. I've discovered that she has a community of people who support her, by cooking meals for her and her family! Just tonight, one of her neighbours cooked up a full-sized chicken, baked with apples, potatoes, and carrots! What a wonderful way to give a hand to stressed out moms! I hope I have a community of people like that when I have kids.

In fact, the same kind of kindness and caring was shown to my housemate, when she was down and out the past few months with cancer and its treatments. The church ladies all cooked up a storm and my housemate had soup to last her for months. I really like the idea, as it is almost a foreign concept to me, as I never saw that type of community back at my home church. I think I will adopt it as a form of hospitality and caring along with my other God-given gifts of service. :)